Sunday, April 18, 2010

Where Am I?

I used to perform weekly at University coffeehouses, and back in my second University, I was introduced to electronic music production and DJ'ing. Since then, I've been "hibernating" in my room at home, still composing, but oddly shyed away from performing much. I had to sell my turntables and DJ equipment due to hard times, and I haven't performed since 2007. I'm looking to like-minded people to make music with, and I'd love to spin at a party again!

I just really feel like I haven't found my place yet in the world. I'm not Deaf, never was fully hearing, but somewhere in the middle (same with my vision too--not totally blind, never had perfect sight, but am 'legally blind' without my glasses, 20/80 with and although I can legally get a driver's license in NY, I choose not to, out of terror, safety and responsibility). I still do my music, but I feel odd doing it as a person with a hearing impairment (does that make sense??). I have to say that, learning to re-listen to music, especially my favourite Metal and Rock and things, with my HA's, sounds are much different and I find myself almost disheartened and saddened at the distorted difference. Sometimes I feel I hear music better without wearing them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd feel shy for sure, exposing myself as a HoH musician, (as if being a quiet person with a visual impairment who plays 7-string guitar isn't hard enough) adding ear-bananas to the mix...

No comments:

Post a Comment