Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Show and Tell" to my Family?!

I've been thinking about telling (and showing) my family (about) my new HA's, and all... Only my grandmum has an age-related loss. They know I've had my loss all my life, and that I hated my HA's all throughout childhood through University.

Then I went and got a pair on my own without telling anybody, and have found also a new-found sort of "courage" and "wanting" to belong to the Deaf/HoH community... (Back in middle school, as much as I despised my ITE, I actually wanted to go to college at Gallaudet to become a teacher of the Deaf at one point, and was also taking ASL classes)

I've only been wearing my new HA's when I go out and about, never have I worn them in my house around anybody here, yet. Intended well-meaning aside, my folks can be overprotective and patronizing a bit. Part of me hopes that by showing them my HA's and telling them of my recent thoughts and courage, that they'll gain a new respect for me. Part of me also fears that after this "show and tell", they'll become worse, which will be intolerable!

I'm wondering what are the best first words I should use to go about telling them?
Should I call everybody into the living room and, wearing them, tell them what I've done and how differently I feel now? I want to sit them down and just get it all out there, and I hope that by appearing as confident in myself as I can be (even if I'm shaking), that it'll rub off on them.

I'm trying to think of a good way to approach the whole thing--what would be a line or two that I could say that would ease their apprehensions or whatever? I'd appreciate any and all thoughts and proposed "telling" methodology!

Peace always,
~Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment