Saturday, May 8, 2010

Restaurant Night

ey everybody,

Just wanted to drop in and share a new experience!

So I was out to dinner with my girlfriend last night, and we went to a pretty packed Burger place. (Luckily, they have awesome veggieburgers, so I can have my vegan fix hahaha--but grossly enough, they put friggin bacon, which was NOT on the menu for that burger, on my burger, which I had to yoink right off after a bite, to find it hidden under the bun?!)... Sorry for the digression... onward...!

W(ell, except for the couple hours Amanda asked to wear them to her class in the afternoon, haha, so she could 'see how I heard',---and she found that if she tugged the earmolds out a tiny bit, to reduce the 'suction', then things were balanced, albeit even on '1', they were loud for her--to me, I have to put them between 2-3, and squish them in a bit She described some things to me while she had them in, that I kinda heard with them in a different way, and I told
her that what she was hearing on '1', was maybe something similar to the sounds I hear with them up louder---I had been wearing my HA's just about all day, and didn't want to take them out as I often did in the beginning. I decided to be brave and wear them into the restaurant. Of course, I was bombarded with tons of crowd noise and such. I normally sit across from Amanda, but I chose to sit right next to her instead, so I could not only snuggle a tad, haha, but also hear her better. (Surprisingly, she was on my left, "worse" side, but I could still hear her and understand her almost as easily as if she had been on my right!) I persevered through the racket and worked on tuning out the extraneous noise, although she had to repeat the waiter's questions to me a few times because I could hear him. A couple screeching kids made me cringe at times, and there was that awful "oven beeper" noise, I think it was, that kept going off, and I kept wondering if my "ears" were whistling, but I decided they weren't, it was just the noise. I'm sure you are all familiar with that "ambiance" that assaults our microphones, plunging into our eardrums, hahaha. As noisy as it was, I felt like I was making headway forward in trying out my HA's and learning to listen again, and overall, it was OK. :)

On the ride home, we had the windows open, and the radio up, but the wind caused the music to be quite intermittent, at least to me, and I was surprised to find that I had turned my HA's all the way up to try and hear the music, even with all the wind (sometimes I think I'm a volume junkie hahaha)!!! It was a sea of wind noise, and then I'd hear Amanda's voice quite loudly in my ear when she'd talk to me. I wouldn't realise how loud everything was until we'd slow down to pay a toll, or roll the windows up, that everything was quite lud, and I had to roll down the volume nubs hahaha!

And, as we entered my town, I popped my HA's out, them squealing in protest as I tugged out the molds, to give my ears a rest for the day, and really noticed just how much quieter my world really has been for a long time... An odd introspection, to be sure...

But it was nice to get out to dinner, as we hadn't in awhile, and I felt better about 'being brave' and working through the racket... :) I'm finding that even if some places are difficult, I still am happy to find myself hearing better, even if in the slightest, you know? As tiring as trying to tune out noise can be, it's less tiring than straining to hear in the first place! XD

Does anyone have any tips that have worked for them, in dealing with listening through HA noise, and in noisy places?? Would wait-staff be perplexed if I didn't even talk, just wrote everything down (but then that leads my troubled eyes to have to stick the pad to my nose to see!)??

Peace everybody!
~Justin

2 comments:

  1. Restaurant are a huge challenge for the hearing aid wearer. If you have a directional microphone program, I suggest you sit with your back to the restaurant noise. That way you're facing a person with a wall behind them. If you don't have a directional microphone, see if your audie can adjust the 'speech in noise' program. If you don't have that, then here are some other possible solutions-- eat in carpeted restaurants. Rare to find, but the carpet absorbs some of the noise. Eat at odd hours-- either before or after the regular dinner hour. Always sit away from the kitchen. Ask for a booth near a wall with high seats if possible. You won't be able to see the other person's face if the lighting it too dim, so choose areas under lamps when possible. If your partner sits near a window while the sun is going down, their face will be blacked out by the excessive light behind, and you'll have a hard time reading lips. Often, in really noisy restaurants I take my aids totally out, because I find the noise exhausting.

    Another option I forgot to mention. If you have telecoil (FM compatibility) on your aids you can get a small device called an FM system that your partner can speak directly into. The expensive ones are wireless, so she would just clip the microphone onto her shirt.

    Wouldn't hurt to learn a few signs too. Can come in handy for supplementing your conversations. Your partner could sign to you while the waitress is asking if you want a baked potato or rice, what kind of salad dressing you prefer.

    And it's totally fine NOT to talk to the waiter. I simply explain that I'm practically deaf. My husband knows to step in and deal with them when I'm having trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Justin,

    Be very careful about turning up hearing aids/music too loud, as it can damage your hearing and you can lose a lot more.

    Carry a pad and pen around with you to help with difficult situations in restaurants.

    Cheers
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete