Saturday, May 8, 2010

Auditory Halos & Depth Perception

I have a couple questions based off of observations I've been noticing with my HA's...
I'd best describe them as "auditory halos" or "after-ringing/noise" that immediately follows the amplified sound into my HA's when I'm hearing things. This doesn't occur when I'm not wearing them.

Any thought on what it is? Just residual amplified noise bouncing around inside my ear? Do "normal" hearing people experience this too??

I've also found that my "auditory depth perception" when wearing my HA's is much different than my "norm". When wearing my HA's, sometimes it feels like a person talking next to me or even a couple feet away, (even if I'm not looking at them, or even if I am) is almost "inside my brain"...?! Mainly, people sound louder and closer than they actually are, which can be disorienting at times. What are some effective tools I can use to offset this "distance distortion"?? I've played around with my volumes, but it usually just leads to me just letting things be, and accepting that this is my new way of hearing, and that maybe things were also louder like this, but I just couldn't hear it??

Peace all!
~Justin

2 comments:

  1. Hi Justin-- Electronic acoustical hearing cannot mimic the human ear. For one thing when you lose your hearing, your ear loses its ability to strain unwanted sound. This can make it seem like noise is bouncing around in your head. I find it very painful at times. With my aids there is also a slight millisecond delay, so that in quiet there will be an audible whoosh from the last remnants of sound that was being amplified. I don't know what kind of aids you wear, but I wonder if you have talked to your audiologist about this. Maybe she can make some adjustments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a medical term for this, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. I used to get it myself.

    ReplyDelete